Monday, November 19, 2007

Arrogance

“Selamat Datang Putra-Putri Terbaik Bangsa”

Eight years ago, I found those words were written in front of the gate of ITB, “Gerbang Ganesha”. After reception ceremony in Sabuga Hall, new students were taken to campus through Gerbang Ganesha by committee lead by KM ITB. I guess everyone saw and read those words.

Last Saturday, I came to PLN office for IA-ITB election. Guess what I found…??? Yep…I found those words again, only this time without word “Bangsa”.

Sound arrogant? Yep…!!! Indeed when I was at first grade in ITB, I heard so many people among the students who attacked those words. Many believe, including me, that it was inappropriate to use those words as a welcome theme for new students. There are a lot of people with great talents who didn’t make ITB as their first choice, so why in the hell we say those words…???

Opposite to what I believe during college time, I used to say “Probably I’m one of those people with the best talent you ever met” during interview for job. I’ll tell you this, most of HR will impress with this words. They impressed at self belief and high esteem we had in our character. Of course it could be that some people think that we are bluffing, so you must be sure you have something unique and special that you can offer to company you applied for.

What’s wrong about being arrogant? How can you sell your special and unique things if you don’t ever dare to speak…??? How people will listen to your presentation about your self if there’s nothing special in your words…??? It is nothing wrong about being arrogant. It is about self esteem, self belief and not about attacking the others.

But watch out…!!! Don’t cover your disabilities by being arrogant. Time will tell what you hide inside.

dedete

[Sunday, November 18, 2007]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Arrogance is a kingdom without a crown.